Friday, April 22, 2011

Big News

Whoa. I (Anna) am "done" with my dissertation. I write "done" in quotes because the work of an academic is never over. It's always a work in progress. I can't wait to get feedback from my committee and reviewers on my second born, 190 page baby! The hardest part is over, and I couldn't be more thrilled. I've been reborn!

At the Kudak home we're now moving onto projects that have been neglected since we moved and I've been working double-time on my dissertation. Decorating! Just yesterday we had Dr. Carol Bruess (did you know she should also have a PhD in decorating? It's true) over for a consultation. And to solve a little marital dispute. My hubby happens to have many opinions about the way things should look in our home. He was also the type of hubby who also had opinions about our wedding. Things like flowers, songs, colors, invitations, and everything else imaginable.

Because decorating and wedding planning are typically done by women, I've often thought of his involvement as a curse. After all, this means I don't get my way on all these decisions. Every detail is negotiated. But then I got to thinking: maybe my hubby is just ahead of most married men in this area? He's after a truly equal marriage, on every level, which is one thing I've always loved about him.

I'm choosing to view this frustration as a gift. I've realized, when we both love a piece of art, sofa, or chair, we both get giddy. It's an excitement I would have had on my own had he not cared, but instead we get to share the satisfaction. No pain, no gain, right?

Stay tuned for pics and tales from the journey.

1 comment:

emily b said...

Congrats, Anna! You and your hubby are going to have so much fun decorating. I can't wait to see the progress!